It’s the end of February and many people are choosing to travel south around this time to escape the cold. But before you pack your bags, you will need to make sure your home is safe and secure so you can relax and enjoy your vacation without the worry!
Here are a few tips to prepare your home:
- Consider a house or pet sitter. Knowing you have someone you trust in your home, taking in the mail, feeding your pets, watering your plants may be just what you need in order to put your mind at ease.
- If you’re not able to hire someone to stay in your home, you can ask a neighbour or family member to keep their eyes on the property, take your mail into their own home everyday. Mail build up is a classic sign of an empty house, and burglars will take notice.
- Invest in timers for a few of the lights in your home. This will make your home look lived in and less likely to have break in.
- Have someone shovel while you’re away. Keep the home from looking neglected.
- Don’t project your moves. Don’t announce on the internet that you are leaving for an extended amount of time! You never know who is reading.
- Don’t leave a portable GPS in your car if you are planning on parking it at the airport for the duration of your trip. Thieves will know you’re away and be able to track down where you live.
- Don’t forget to lock up! Check everything 3 times before you leave your home.