The year 2017 is a big one for Canada! Not only are we celebrating our 150th birthday, but Canada has been named the #1 country to visit this year by Lonely Planet. This is great news for Ottawa’s tourism industry! Living in our country’s capital, we will be able to witness and partake in some amazing events. I’m here to keep you up to date on what you don’t want to miss!
WINTERLUDE 2017 is going to be even bigger and better than usual. It will run from February 3rd-20th in Confederation Park, Jacques-Cartier Park, on the Rideau Canal and various other locations across the city. Most Winterlude offerings and events are FREE and take place on weekends. Here are some of the events lined up for the celebration:
Feb. 3: Kick-Off Party! Join in the festivities at Confederation Park that include live music, dancing and a first look at the world famous ice sculptures.
Feb. 4: Winterlude Triathlon. Starting at 8 am in the Dow’s Lake area. Watch as hundreds of winter enthusiasts skate, run, and cross-country ski their way to the finish line!
Feb. 11: Accora Village Bed Race. Teams dress up in costumes to race hospital beds down the ice. A fun tradition in its 37th year.
Feb. 16-18: Winter Brew Fest. Something for the adults! Enjoy a variety of craft beers and food at the horticulture building in Lansdowne Park. You can buy your tickets in advance here: http://www.brewfest.ca/ottawa/buy-tickets.php
Feb. 17-18: Ice Dragon Boat Festival. A new event that will have dragon boats racing down the Rideau Canal! It is sure to be quite the spectacle.
Sculptors getting ready for the festival
Some events will be ongoing throughout the festival. Here is a list of what is available to see and do at anytime during WINTERLUDE:
- Ice Sculptures at Confederation Park
- Skating on the Rideau Canal
- Enjoying a World Famous Beavertail and Hot Chocolate at Various Locations
- Snowflake Kingdom at Jacques-Cartier Park. Fun for the whole family! Zoom down slides made of snow, try an obstacle course, get lost in a snowy maze, learn about the history of Canada, and get your photo taken with the Ice Hogs mascots!
- Snow Art. Look for snow sculptures across the city in places like The Glebe, The ByWard Market and Lansdowne Park.
For a full calendar of events visit the Official Winterlude Site Here!