Fall is officially here! The leaves have begun to drop from the trees and there is a chill in the air, which means it’s time to prepare your garden for the winter months. A good fall cleanup of your garden will ensure a healthy start next Spring! A healthy lush garden= curb appeal. Curb appeal is very important in the sale of your home. It shows buyers that the house has been cared for and makes it feel more welcoming!
So keep these tips in mind and you will thank yourself next Spring.
- Mow your lawn for the last time as late into Fall as possible to ensure healthy grass next Spring
- Make sure to rake up all fallen leaves before the snow flies
- Cut back any dry stems on perennials after the frost begins, to protect against diseases and to neaten the garden
- Pull up all annuals as they will not last through the winter
- Cut off any dying or diseased foliage from other plants and trees
- Keep young trees safe during winter by wrapping the trunks with wire mesh found at any hardware store
- Cover evergreens with burlap to protect them from the harsh winter weather
- Keep weeding to save you time in the Spring!
- Water your garden even in the Fall if the weather is dry.